Monday, April 7, 2008
If I weren't a pirate I'd cry.
I'm short and it feels great! Only twelve more days left on my exciting tour of Stockholm and its various suburbs. Only twelve more days of constantly being sick and cold. Even sweeter, only nine more days on this crazy production. I'm sure I'll miss being on this movie when it's all said and done, you know, you just get used to getting screwed with the same crew for days on end. You're happy it's over but you're secretly sad that you won't be hanging around with the people you've been with for seven weeks. So odd, the process of making a movie. It's one of the dumbest things you can spend your precious time doing but also one of the most remarkable. Or maybe it's so dumb and hard and useless that you get pulverized into finding enjoyment in the smallest little things. Like last week, the sun broke through the coastal fog and I was instantly overjoyed that the Swedish coast looked so much like the Central Coast of California but even more pristine. I started picking up everyone else's damn butts and the gaffer, Pontus, came up and shook my hand and told me that was one of the best things he'd seen in awhile. We had a nice little conversation about the Surfrider Foundation, the environmental concerns of Swedes, and the general state of the world's oceans. Cool, huh? I mean, that's real conversation between relative strangers and isn't that the point of traveling anywhere? Or maybe I'm delirious and trying too hard to find a point to all of this, to make it all seem worthwhile and better than the reality of it: we're just making a fucking movie. Today started out with a bunch of fucking gremlin action as Jonathan had to assemble a crane by himself. A crane! This is normally a job for about two or three grips and he did it with a PA. Of course it wasn't ready on time and everything sort of spiraled down the drain from there. I had to flex at the DP after he started getting all pushy and loud and he later apologized. I didn't. The funny thing is, I just didn't really care anymore. I know I'm good at my job and I know I don't need to sweat this job. Get it done, stay cool, and stay above it all. That and count the days down until it's time to bail.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
and get paid
but i digress, did you really , rise up? almost end of the shoot madness, eh? you've summed it up well, sir.
(yas thought it was hilarious that i went to brighter day to buy a dog shampoo! it seemed the right thing to do buying his shampoo at the health food store!)
I think that's wonderful and you've now probably spoiled him. Thanks again for looking after me mutt.
Your dog is sooooooo East Side hipster.oykxg
I'm moved that you started picking up everyone's cigarette butts. That's pretty cool. It's not even your damn country, monkeyboy. Conversations like the one you had with the gaffer are what life is all about. It'd be even cooler if people didn't throw their butts on the ground in the first place. But I guess that's too much to ask. Smokers. Nothin' changes.
Post a Comment