Sunday, April 6, 2008

You ain't got to lie, Craig, you ain't got to lie.

Today was fun. I woke up with a cough and my voice sounds horrible but I felt fine so I went and skated a little pool. It was great. I totally suck at skateboarding now which is to be expected as I'm an old man now. There was a guy there who was older than me and had a fancy case with three huge old boards inside. Full pads, brain pan, the whole nine and he could barely drop in but goddamn if he didn't try. He also kept switching his boards out which was just so funny to me. I don't know, it was so pretentious but then he really sucked. I know I'm terrible at skateboarding now but I think that's just in relation to what I used to be able to do and how good kids are today. But this guy, c'mon! I really wanted to talk to him but he seemed a little crazy but hey, at least he's still skating. Most of the guys I skated with quit at least ten years ago and I only go a few times a month. It's a shame what they done to that boy. Oh, in case anyone is ever thinking of skating in Stockholm get yourself some nice, soft wheels. The roads and sidewalks mostly suck around Stockholm. I bought some overpriced Spitfires that are a swell green color and cruise over the many cracks, pebbles, and horrible asphalt. The price sucked but at least I can now bomb some hills and cruise around like a dork.

I was supposed to skate with Crille but we couldn't quite hook it up but did manage to get some tea. His wife Mahlen showed up with daughters Java and Mica, the latest addition. Perfect baby: quite and small. It was a nice little family visit but unfortunately the Forsberg clan had to head out early so I decided to wander the streets of Stockholm with a skateboard.

Stockholm is kinda cool when it's not snowing or raining and seeing it on a skateboard while listening to Primus was incredibly fun. I think I just enjoyed cruising around on a skateboard again and playing in traffic. I ended up in the downtown area and found some spots here and there and threw my bulk up onto some ledges and over some gaps. I probably looked like an idiot but I did have some fun and no one kicked me out of any spots. Lazy Sunday, perhaps?

I ducked into a little bar/restaurant in Gamla Stan and had a pint while watching the other tourists wander around. Sundays here are kind of dull, it seems most things are closed or open for a hot five minutes. Björn was telling me that most Swedes don't understand the American fascination with Sunday as they just view as the day before they have to go back to work on Monday. Funny, I work freelance so weekends to me are just when you get to hang out with your workin' friends (Ha! I love Primus).

So when I got home I turned on CNN and saw a guy trying to mug a woman running with the Olympic torch in London. I understand the need and righteousness of protesting against the Chinese government's, well, everything but physically attacking someone who has no power over Chinese policy doesn't really win you any friends. Any thoughts? Am I just being a pussy about this? God help me, but I agree with Bode Miller: leave the politics out of the Olympics.

On now to the laundry and maybe a kebabpizzor.

4 comments:

savannah said...

if only it were that simple to leave politics out of the games, we all would love that, but unfortunately, from the beginning there was a political motivation...people are involved, countries with agendas hidden and overt. for my generation it was 1968, mexico city, tommie smith and john carlos...a visual protest against racial injustice to the horrors that were munich. but you're right about the attack on the torch bearer - no sense at all. i wish i had a solution because all of this is far from over.

savannah said...

re the guy with the multiple board personality...why did the word poser come to mind? ;-)

The Good Times said...

When are you coming back??? When do you want to rejoin the Hollywood shuffle? My phone is on fire and we could all use a good man like yourself...... Although, when you come back and the blog ends I'll be left with nothing to read......

The photo of you in the pea coat is freakin' awesome.

captain chaos said...

Assuming I don't die from some new strain of the common Swedish cold, I'm available for work on April 24th. And I mean available.