Ah, everything makes so much more sense once the work starts. Our first day was nice and uneventful and, as I predicted, people lost their cool and I started getting bored and falling asleep. But hey, that's what movie making is all about, right! Above are two photos that I feel sum up my day, the last one being the best as I love seeing every shot crossed off. One less day that I need to be here eating overly-salted food and not surfing. One more day closer to my loved ones and a good god-damn burrito from La Chabelita, extra Tapatio bitches!
In all honesty, the Swedish film market is pretty small: 8 million peeps yammering away in Swedish ain't that amazing. That these guys are going up against my people is nothing short of amazing but still, guys, c'mon! Every Swede I've talked to says the same thing: Swedish film needs to step it up and get a little more Hollywood and a little less Ingmar Bergman. Yes, admittedly "The Seventh Seal" was fucking cool. Once. One viewing every fifteen years or so is great but let's not forget that a lot of really funny, bad, big movies came out at the same time. Move on, people! Make some crazy movies, blow some shit up, go big Sweden, big! No, seriously, even the Swedes working on this film admit that the problem is their homegrown movies are too timid and small to truly compete with Hollywood. It's funny to me as I see the opposite problem in the commercial world: most Hollywood commercials are a combination of boring and stupid while European commercials are usually visually stunning and funny and quirky. Go figure.
I finally felt well-enough to go out and do some serious grocery shopping and dammit if that didn't do the trick! I made scalloped potatoes and lamb chops and some spinach and am finally feeling like I've eaten. Hooray home cooking in the Ikea-pen! Tomorrow I'm going to attempt fried chicken or maybe a good cheeseburger although the mayo I found might be a little suspect. We'll see.

8 comments:
Hej,
make sure you sip some delicious Baska Droppar and drop some "jag verstor inte"'s every so often.
The schnapps from Skane actually taste pretty good. And dig up some swedish hip-hop if you get the chance.
Tag.
-bjarni
Oh yeah, and go get some metal
at sound pollution in Gamla Stan.
And that should be "Tack" at the end of that first one. Please send herring.
As soon as you get back we are going to El Chabelito. AND El Tarasco after a session, by god. No viking sonsabitches are gonna poison my brother and get away with it!
Is Sweden in Portugal?
for a funny commercial, drop by dh's place and see an example of asian salesmanship!
I know nothing about film making from conception to finish- in fact most of my friends think I like shit, my last favorite film of all time being “Natural Born Killers.” I would have changed a sequence or two or three to make it perfect, more like fuck it up, but I guess you can’t like every single thing or can you?
I can’t stand “foreign films,” for one - or two, and a few ....) of the reasons they never become popular after they leave home. Viewed in a different culture they‘re usually too remote, to arouse the deeper archetypal layers awake, stimulating the imagination; the other being most people can’t be bothered to read the sub-titles, dividing their attention from the important photography (I thought you’d like that bit) breaking the whole flow.
Eh, I meant to say something else, but that's the way it came out. Sorry about that man.
Catch you later. There's a French movie on I'm goin' to watch 1968/69Taxi- get a little speed on;-);-)
;-) ;-)
I'm happy to read that your spirits are high and that you are enjoying Stockholm and its culinary treasures...I am still hurting from your going away party...
Post a Comment